Sat, Sep 25|
"Culturally Responsive Inquiry Learning: What It Is and How To Do It To Raise Student Achievement for All Learners"
Dr. Jeffrey Hinton, CCSD Teacher, will facilitate this workshop. Participants will learn why America’s quickly changing demographics have necessitated the need for educators to become culturally competent practitioners.
Time & Location
Sep 25, 2021, 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
About the Event
ALL are welcome, including anyone in a non-administrative position!
NASA IS NOT A UNION. NASA is Nevada's PreK-12 Professional Development Organization for ALL Nevada Educators!
- EARN .5 CREDIT (THAT'S 7.5 HOURS TOWARD LICENSE RENEWAL
- In CCSD, those in non-administrative licensed positions may count this workshop for license renewal AND ALSO 2.5 CUs - THOSE IN NON-ADMINISTRATIVE POSITIONS EARN BOTH (unlimited CUs in this category for those in non-administrative positions)!
- In CCSD, administrators and professional-technical administrators may count this workshop for license renewal OR 2.5 hours toward step-advancement - not both for administrators (maximum of 30 hours per advancement cycle for administrators in this category)!
- Washoe County participants will be required to also register for this course in "MyPGS" in order to receive in-service credit toward salary advancement.
In this workshop, participants will learn why America’s quickly changing demographics have necessitated the need for educators to become culturally competent practitioners. To raise the academic achievement of all learners, educators must be able to implement culturally responsive pedagogy (CRP) to include understanding the knowledge, skills, and dispositions of the approach. Additionally, participants will recognize the need for students to become independent learners by becoming proficient in the 21st-century skills of critical thinking, creativity, communication, and collaboration. Participants will then be introduced to Culturally Responsive Inquiry Learning or CRIL, a pedagogical approach that combines aspects of CRP with inquiry learning to elicit high levels of student achievement. Finally, I will walk participants through a lesson I created that exemplifies the principles of CRIL and provide educators with an opportunity to design their own CRIL based lesson that will help students become successful in college, careers, and civic life.
DR. HINTON'S BIOGRAPHY
Dr. Jeffrey Allen Hinton has taught U.S. history in the CCSD I for almost 20 years. He is a National Board-Certified teacher and possesses advanced degrees in curriculum and instruction and U.S. History. He is the 2014 Nevada Teacher of the Year, Heart of Education recipient, and Public Education Foundation Teacher of Excellence. In addition to full-time teaching, Jeff is an educational consultant passionate about designing culturally responsive pedagogy, inquiry teaching, and 21st-century skills. Jeff writes a blog on various educational topics and can be found at https://www.jeffreyahinton.com
- Introduction to the course and instructor
- Objectives and Day’s Agenda
- Class norms and parking lot
- Ice Breaker Activity- 6 Memories before you were 21-Share in breakout rooms
- Google Form-participant demographics
- Nation’s changing demographics and the achievement gap
- Brief background of multicultural education
- Breakout room discussion: How do you currently teach ethnically and linguistically diverse students? What has worked, what has not
- Introduction to Culturally Relevant Pedagogy
- Read- But That’s Just Good Teaching: The Case for Culturally Relevant Teaching Breakout room guided discussion
- Self-examination for White teachers
- Culturally Responsive Pedagogy-definition and principles
- Levels of culture- surface and deep culture
- Culturally responsive curriculum-
The hidden curriculum/null curriculum
The symbolic curriculum
- Culturally responsive caring and “warm demander”
- Cross-cultural communication
- Culturally congruent pedagogies
- Break out room activity-using your district standards document, identify 1-2 standards that you would like to teach in a culturally responsive way. Discuss with your group why you chose the standard(s) and ways that you can
12:00 - 12:30 PM
- Transforming dependent learners into independent learners through lessons with high cognitive demand
- Introduce Inquiry-Based Learning
- Read Edutopia Article Culturally Responsive Inquiry Learning
- Break out discussion rooms-What are the pros and cons of CRIL
- Questions-the Question Formulation Technique
- Sources- primary v. secondary
- Tasks- social justice
- Walkthrough of lesson Hip-Hop Herstory: African Women at NASA the Real Hidden Figures
- Using Donors Choose to fund your project
1:30 - 3:00 PM
- Participants will develop a potential CRIL lesson using CRIL lesson planning tools
3:00 - 3:30 PM
- Participants will share their lessons with other participants in their break out rooms
3:30 - 4:00 PM
- Wrap up-Lesson assessment and instructor evaluation
- Ticket type
Support Staff Professionals
This ticket price is for support staff professionals only - that is non-licensed personnel like teacher aides, and non-licensed employees in educational support roles. Employment status will be verified after purchase.Price$25.00
+$0.63 service fee+$0.63 service fee
- Ticket type
This ticket price is for anyone that is a NASA member. ANYONE, including teachers and those in non-administrative positions can become a NASA Member and save on registration rates. It pays to become a NASA Member. Go to: NASANV.org to become a NASA Member immediately and register at the Lower Rate "NASA Member" rate! NASA membership will be verified after purchase.Price$50.00
+$1.25 service fee+$1.25 service fee
- Ticket type
This ticket price is for anyone that is a Non-NASA member and/or any individual that wishes to attend this workshop. ANYONE, including teachers and those in non-administrative positions can become a NASA Member and save on registration rates. It pays to become a NASA Member. Go to: NASANV.org to become a NASA Member immediately and register at the Lower Rate!Price$75.00
+$1.88 service fee+$1.88 service fee