Tue, Jun 04|
Empowering Educators and Unlocking Student Success through Science and EduProtocols
This workshop addresses the individual and collective needs of each participant within the content of science education through EduProtocols.
Time & Location
Jun 04, 2024, 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
About the Event
Empowering Educators and Unlocking Student Success through Science and EduProtocols
Tuesday, June 4, 2024
8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
A 30 minute lunch break
$25 for Support Staff
$45 for NASA Members
$65 for Non-NASA Members
Participants will earn .5 credit (7.5 hours) toward license renewal!
This workshop ALSO counts for step advancement in Clark and most Nevada School Districts!
In CCSD, those in non-administrative licensed positions may count this workshop for license renewal AND ALSO CU accrual - THOSE IN NON-ADMINISTRATIVE POSITIONS EARN BOTH!
(unlimited CUs in this category for those in non-administrative positions)
In CCSD, administrators and professional-technical administrators may count this workshop for license renewal OR hour accrual toward step-advancement - not both for administrators.
(maximum of 30 hours per advancement cycle for administrators in this category)!
CCSD licensed employees should be aware that professional development activities must be related to the educator/licensed professional’s assignment. CCSD teachers with any questions or concerns should reach out to the PGS Department at firstname.lastname@example.org
Washoe County participants will be required to also register for this course in "MyPGS" in order to receive in-service credit toward salary advancement.
This workshop addresses the individual and collective needs of each participant within the content of science education through EduProtocols. We value and promote collaboration of experiences and diverse perspectives each participant brings with them with the focus on EduProtocols as tools for culturally relevant science content, while reigniting teachers’ passion while lessening their workload. All participants will be able to access EduProtocol activities equitably on their own or with support, promoting inclusion of everyone with their own level of comfort. Participants will be able to experience how to better utilize knowledge of their own teaching to enhance student understanding in their own ways through versatile lesson frames that support and engage all students' capacities. These strategies and key concepts will be available and applicable for individuals to use immediately on themselves, with staff or students of all grades, or whomever their expected audience will be as an extension of Science EduProtocols and the integration of the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) lesson sequence offered to everyone. The diversity and uniqueness experienced by participants will enhance the benefits that this course's tools will bring to those who utilize them. EduProtocols are a remix of traditional teaching strategies that replace the direct instruction model with a student led community of learning. Use of presented strategies provide educators with immediate data regarding student progress towards mastery goals, and emphasizes the use of immediate feedback given to students to support academic success and give back time to teachers previously used in traditional planning and grading practices.
Key Takeaways & Outcomes:
Participants will be able to use Next Gen Science Standards for student performance to support the development of their capacity to apply practical skills to their understanding of content knowledge. As we all work to close the achievement gaps for all Pre-K -12 students, we understand that they need a grasp of the context in which scientific knowledge is obtained and utilized, as well as the interconnections among scientific concepts that contribute to our comprehension of the surrounding world. These activities will help ALL educators increase engagement and access to the content resulting in enhanced student achievement. At the workshop's conclusion, all educators offer chances for every student to generate and interpret various representations of mastery in each level of content standards while integrating cross-curricular strategies that can be implemented the next day.
- Individualized Learning and Passion Reignition: This workshop will be tailored to address the individual needs of participants, emphasizing the use of EduProtocols to reignite teachers' passion for science education.
- Equitable Access and Inclusive Teaching: All participants can access EduProtocol activities equitably, promoting an inclusive learning environment that values diverse perspectives and experiences.
- Utilization of Teaching Knowledge and Immediate Applicability: Presenters will guide participants in leveraging their teaching knowledge through versatile lesson frames, emphasizing the immediate applicability of strategies for diverse audiences.
- Data-Driven Teaching and Feedback for Academic Success: The presenters will emphasize the importance of data-driven teaching with immediate feedback, showcasing how EduProtocols provide educators with actionable insights while supporting student academic success.
- Equitable Access to EduProtocol Activities: Participants will learn to develop a system ensuring all participants have equal access to EduProtocol activities independently or with necessary support.
- Inclusive Teaching Practices: Facilitators will foster an inclusive environment that accommodates participants at their comfort levels, promoting a sense of belonging for all.
- Enhanced Teaching Skills: Facilitators will enable participants to leverage their own teaching knowledge to enhance student understanding through versatile lesson frames.
- Versatile Lesson Frames: Facilitators willquip participants with versatile lesson frames that support and engage students of all capacities, providing flexibility in teaching approaches.
- Immediate Applicability: Facilitators will ensure that strategies and key concepts presented are immediately applicable, allowing participants to implement them in their own teaching practices.
- Broad Applicability: Facilitators will extend the applicability of the acquired strategies and key concepts to various settings, including individual use, collaboration with staff, and teaching students of all grades.
- Integration of NGSS Standards: Facilitators will foster the integration of Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) lesson sequences into participants' teaching practices, aligning with current educational standards.
- Diverse Learning Experiences: Facilitators will provide opportunities for participants to experience diversity and uniqueness in their learning, enhancing the overall benefits of the course's tools.
- Immediate Data on Student Progress: Participants will emphasize the use of presented strategies to give educators immediate data on student progress towards mastery goals, facilitating timely and targeted interventions.
- Student-Led Community of Learning: Facilitators will encourage the shift from the traditional direct instruction model to a student-led community of learning through the use of EduProtocols.
- Feedback for Academic Success: Facilitators will promote the use of immediate feedback for students, supporting their academic success and freeing up teachers' time previously spent on traditional planning and grading practices.
- Time Efficiency for Teachers: Facilitators will highlight the efficiency gains for teachers, emphasizing how EduProtocols can save time by streamlining planning and grading processes.
These tangible outcomes collectively aim to empower educators with practical tools and strategies that are not only immediately applicable but also promote inclusivity, diversity, and enhanced teaching practices.
Biographies of Presenters:
Christina, hailing from Southern California, is not just a middle school science teacher at Cielo Vista Charter School; she's a trailblazer in creating an inclusive, asset-based learning environment. Her commitment to helping students rise above trauma is evident in her advocacy for equity in education, empowering her students through science and math literacy. As a pivotal figure in the CA NGSS Early Implementer Initiative and the CA NGSS Collaborative, Christina has been instrumental in providing professional learning experiences to educators. Her contributions to conferences through CASE, CSTA, and NSTA have been notable, as have her efforts in designing learning sequences and professional development with K12 Alliance and West Ed. She's also been involved in curriculum review for the CA Department of Education. Under her guidance, Cielo Vista Charter is leading the charge toward Green Schools and STEAM experiences, fostering environmental advocacy within the community. Christina's students don't just learn; they grow in a supportive, loving environment that extends beyond the classroom, becoming part of a lifelong school family.
In the same spirit of educational innovation, Ariana Hernandez brings fresh, dynamic approaches to teaching. With three years under her belt, Ariana has already made significant strides in the field, embracing Eduprotocols to enhance student engagement and center learning around the student experience. Her presentation at the NSTA conference in 2023 highlighted the potential of EduProtocols in science education, showcasing her expertise to her peers. Ariana's excellence in teaching was recognized when she was named the IACUE Emerging Teacher of the Year for 2022-2023. As an active faculty member in the Eduprotocols community, Ariana is a beacon for other educators seeking to revolutionize their teaching methods. Her involvement with the HUSD Impact team and as an iEXPO planner and coordinator speaks volumes of her commitment to fostering positive change and promoting innovative educational practices. Ariana's dedication to staying abreast of educational trends ensures that her focus on Eduprotocols and Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) not only equips students with essential 21st-century skills but also empowers them for future success.
Together, Christina and Ariana represent the cutting edge of educational progress. Their joint presentation promises to be a treasure trove of insights and strategies for educators looking to elevate their teaching and profoundly impact student learning. This is an opportunity to connect with two educators who are not just teaching the curriculum but are actively shaping the future of education. Join them to embark on a journey that will empower both you and your students to succeed in the ever-evolving landscape of education.
- Ticket type
This ticket price is for support staff professionals only - that is non-licensed personnel like teacher aides, and non-licensed employees in educational support roles. Employment status will be verified after purchase.Price$25.00
+$0.63 service fee+$0.63 service fee
- Ticket type
This ticket price is for anyone that is a NASA member. ANYONE, including teachers and those in non-administrative positions can become a NASA Member and save on registration rates. It pays to become a NASA Member. Go to: NASANV.org to become a NASA Member immediately and register at the Lower Rate "NASA Member" rate! NASA membership will be verified after purchase.Price$50.00
+$1.25 service fee+$1.25 service fee
- Ticket type
This ticket price is for anyone that is a Non-NASA member and/or any individual that wishes to attend this workshop. ANYONE, including teachers and those in non-administrative positions can become a NASA Member and save on registration rates. It pays to become a NASA Member. Go to: NASANV.org to become a NASA Member immediately and register at the Lower Rate!Price$75.00
+$1.88 service fee+$1.88 service fee