Thu, Jun 09|
"Engaging the 21st Century Learner: Classroom Strategies to Increase Engagement and Rigor”
This workshop aims to provide teachers with the knowledge and tools to implement instruction that engages, challenges, and inspires their students.
Time & Location
Jun 09, 2022, 7:00 AM – 3:00 PM
About the Event
Dr. Emma Gibbs
Dr. Emma Gibbs is a Strobel Education consultant who provides professional development for teachers. As an educational consultant, Dr. Gibbs strives to provide teachers the knowledge and tools they need to implement highly effective and student-centered instruction in their classroom.
Dr.Gibbs is a secondary and higher education English instructor from Central Kentucky. Dr. Gibbs earned her Bachelors's and Master's Degrees in English and Secondary Education from the University of Kentucky. Dr. Gibbs went on to earn her Doctorate in English Pedagogy with a K-12 Literacy specialization from Murray State University. Dr. Gibbs is an experienced teacher who has taught in the secondary and higher education classroom.
ALL are welcome, including anyone in a non-administrative position!
Participants will earn .5 credit (7.5 hours) toward license renewal!
This workshop ALSO counts for step advancement in Clark and most Nevada School Districts!
In CCSD, those in non-administrative licensed positions may count this workshop for license renewal AND ALSO CU accrual - THOSE IN NON-ADMINISTRATIVE POSITIONS EARN BOTH!
(unlimited CUs in this category for those in non-administrative positions)
In CCSD, administrators and professional-technical administrators may count this workshop for license renewal OR hour accrual toward step-advancement - not both for administrators.
(maximum of 30 hours per advancement cycle for administrators in this category)!
Every classroom teacher strives to meet the needs of their students, engage students in instruction, and promote student academic mastery and achievement. Today, students are 21st-century learners who multitask, engage best with multimodal sources of information, and thrive in an interactive learning environment. This workshop aims to provide teachers with the knowledge and tools to implement instruction that engages, challenges, and inspires their students. In this workshop, teachers will explore strategies to increase engagement and rigor, such as collaboration, participation, high-level questioning, and inquiry-based instruction. The content of this workshop is research-based, teacher-tested, and ready to be implemented into the classroom today!
- Teachers will explore relevant research about the 21st-century learner to inform classroom instruction to meet the academic needs of their students.
- Teachers will be able to implement student-centered and highly engaging instructional strategies in order to facilitate rigorous instruction in an interactive classroom that promotes student achievement and mastery of content.
- Teachers will gather and use knowledge of students to inform instruction and design highly engaging educational experiences.
- Teachers will allow students to take ownership of learning and academic growth in order to promote student self efficacy and engagement.
- Teachers will provide opportunities for student choice and exploration by implementing an inquiry based instruction in which they are the facilitator.
- Teachers will attempt to build a connection between instructional content and the real world and the student perspective in order to promote a tangible application of content and skills.
Support Staff - Non Licensed
This ticket price is for support staff professionals only - that is non-licensed personnel like teacher aides, and non-licensed employees in educational support roles. Employment status will be verified after purchase.$20.00+$0.50 service fee
This ticket price is for anyone that is a NASA member. ANYONE, including teachers and those in non-administrative positions can become a NASA Member and save on registration rates. It pays to become a NASA Member. Go to: NASANV.org to become a NASA Member immediately and register at the Lower Rate "NASA Member" rate! NASA membership will be verified after purchase.$40.00+$1.00 service fee
This ticket price is for anyone that is a Non-NASA member and/or any individual that wishes to attend this workshop. ANYONE, including teachers and those in non-administrative positions can become a NASA Member and save on registration rates. It pays to become a NASA Member. Go to: NASANV.org to become a NASA Member immediately and register at the Lower Rate!$60.00+$1.50 service fee