Thu, Oct 20|
Standards-Based Grading Implementing a Meaningful Grading System
Implement effective grading practices. Transform your school’s grading system into one that really shows what students know and can do. In this workshop, we’ll explore why grades have become so imprecise and what we can do about it.
Time & Location
Oct 20, 2022, 4:00 PM – Oct 27, 2022, 7:45 PM
About the Event
Implement effective grading practices. Transform your school’s grading system into one that really shows what students know and can do. Your team will explore specific aspects of standards-based grading implementation, from identifying prioritized standards and creating proficiency scales to creating aligned high-quality assessments and revising report cards.
Each step of the process is thoroughly explained. Our goal is for you to leave understanding how to create vertical and horizontal alignment in your school along with a viable and guaranteed curriculum so you can ensure a high level of reliability between and within all grade levels.
In this workshop, we’ll explore why grades have become so imprecise and what we can do about it. Standards-based grading requires educators, students, and parents to rethink and reframe beliefs about grading that they have held for many years. This process requires reflection, new learning, and changes in practice. You’ll learn what makes a meaningful grade, methods for evolving your current classroom practice and curriculum to include regular assessments, and how standards-based grading and assessment lead to a more accurate measurement of student achievement.
In this online course, you’ll learn…
- The problems with the current grading system and how we can “fix” it.
- Prioritize your standards for in-depth teaching versus surface level skimming.
- Create pacing guides that align curriculum both horizontally and vertically.
- How proficiency scales clearly articulate the learning profession needed for each priority standard to be mastered.
- Why unpacking standards is essential in order to articulate a target skills or knowledge.
- How to align assessments so ALL students gain an equal chance to show and know what they can do.
- Explore concrete steps for implementing standards-based grading.
ALL are welcome, including anyone in a non-administrative position!
NASA IS NOT A UNION. NASA is Nevada's PreK-12 Professional Development Organization for ALL Nevada Educators!
- EARN .5 CREDIT (THAT'S 7.5 HOURS TOWARD LICENSE RENEWAL
- In CCSD, those in non-administrative licensed positions may count this workshop for license renewal AND ALSO 2.5 CUs - THOSE IN NON-ADMINISTRATIVE POSITIONS EARN BOTH (unlimited CUs in this category for those in non-administrative positions)!
- In CCSD, administrators and professional-technical administrators may count this workshop for license renewal OR 2.5 hours toward step-advancement - not both for administrators (maximum of 30 hours per advancement cycle for administrators in this category)!
ONE VIRTUAL WORKSHOP OVER 2 MEETING DATES:
Thursday, October 20, 2022
Thursday, October 27, 2022
4:00 PM - 7:45 PM
Dr. Kristie Ennis
Dr. Kristie Hofelich Ennis earned her B.A. in English and M.A.T. at the University of Louisville, an M.S. from Western Kentucky University, and a Doctorate of Arts in English Pedagogy from Murray State University. In addition to teaching English Composition at UofL and JCTC, Kristie also teaches graduate education courses at Murray State. She is the Conference Chair of the Kentucky Council of Teachers of English and is a Curriculum Consultant in her "spare" time.
Support Staff Professionals
+$0.50 service fee
This ticket price is for support staff professionals only - that is non-licensed personnel like teacher aides, and non-licensed employees in educational support roles. Employment status will be verified after purchase.
+$0.50 service fee0
+$1.00 service fee
This ticket price is for anyone that is a NASA member. ANYONE, including teachers and those in non-administrative positions can become a NASA Member and save on registration rates. It pays to become a NASA Member. Go to: NASANV.org to become a NASA Member immediately and register at the Lower Rate "NASA Member" rate! NASA membership will be verified after purchase.
+$1.00 service fee0
+$1.50 service fee
This ticket price is for anyone that is a Non-NASA member and/or any individual that wishes to attend this workshop. ANYONE, including teachers and those in non-administrative positions can become a NASA Member and save on registration rates. It pays to become a NASA Member. Go to: NASANV.org to become a NASA Member immediately and register at the Lower Rate!
+$1.50 service fee0