Wed, Oct 19|
"Trauma-Informed Classrooms: Reaching and Teaching Challenging Students"
In this workshop you’ll learn how struggling learners’ brains work and how to create a classroom environment that is sensitive to the needs of all students, regardless of background.
Time & Location
Oct 19, 2022, 4:00 PM – Oct 26, 2022, 7:45 PM
About the Event
Students entering the classroom with emotional, behavioral, or mental health issues are often at a disadvantage and struggle to keep up with the demands of traditional learning. Brains aﬀected by trauma require a diﬀerent kind of instruction—and a special kind of care.
Children who have experienced trauma in their pasts enter our schools just like any other student; however, these children’s brains operate and process information somewhat differently than children with non-traumatic histories.
The students who enter our classrooms carrying baggage we could not ever imagine. The students we are held accountable for during high-stakes testing. And there’s hope for them, for a better understanding, with resources and strategies that can help these students become successful!
Teachers will leave this workshop with strategies to build resilience and grit in even the most challenging students, ideas for encouraging positive behavior and creating effective classroom management, and a plan of action that can be immediately put in place to start increasing student motivation.
You’ll learn how these struggling learners’ brains work and how to create a classroom environment that is sensitive to the needs of all students, regardless of background.
- Discover the three tiers to supportive schools
- Understand the different types of trauma and its effects on the brain
- Learn the impact of stress and trauma on learning
- Explore neuroscience and brain-based learning strategies
- Strategies to deal with students from traumatic backgrounds
- Strategies to redirect behavior with coping mechanisms
- Build relationships that create change
- Understand what causes lagging skills
- Overcome secondary teacher trauma and self-care
ALL are welcome, including anyone in a non-administrative position!
NASA IS NOT A UNION. NASA is Nevada's PreK-12 Professional Development Organization for ALL Nevada Educators!
- EARN .5 CREDIT (THAT'S 7.5 HOURS TOWARD LICENSE RENEWAL
- In CCSD, those in non-administrative licensed positions may count this workshop for license renewal AND ALSO 2.5 CUs - THOSE IN NON-ADMINISTRATIVE POSITIONS EARN BOTH (unlimited CUs in this category for those in non-administrative positions)!
- In CCSD, administrators and professional-technical administrators may count this workshop for license renewal OR 2.5 hours toward step-advancement - not both for administrators (maximum of 30 hours per advancement cycle for administrators in this category)!
- Washoe County participants will be required to also register for this course in "MyPGS" in order to receive in-service credit toward salary advancement.
ONE VIRTUAL WORKSHOP OVER 2 MEETING DATES:
Wednesday, October 19
Wednesday, October 26
4:00 PM - 7:45 PM
Dr. Emma Gibbs
Dr. Emma Gibbs is a Strobel Education consultant who provides professional development for teachers. As an educational consultant, Dr. Gibbs strives to provide teachers the knowledge and tools they need to implement highly effective and student-centered instruction in their classroom.
Dr.Gibbs is a secondary and higher education English instructor from Central Kentucky. Dr. Gibbs earned her Bachelors's and Master's Degrees in English and Secondary Education from the University of Kentucky. Dr. Gibbs went on to earn her Doctorate in English Pedagogy with a K-12 Literacy specialization from Murray State University. Dr. Gibbs is an experienced teacher who has taught in the secondary and higher education classroom.
- Ticket type
Support Staff Professionals
This ticket price is for support staff professionals only - that is non-licensed personnel like teacher aides, and non-licensed employees in educational support roles. Employment status will be verified after purchase.Price$20.00
+$0.50 service fee+$0.50 service fee
- Ticket type
This ticket price is for anyone that is a NASA member. ANYONE, including teachers and those in non-administrative positions can become a NASA Member and save on registration rates. It pays to become a NASA Member. Go to: NASANV.org to become a NASA Member immediately and register at the Lower Rate "NASA Member" rate! NASA membership will be verified after purchase.Price$40.00
+$1.00 service fee+$1.00 service fee
- Ticket type
This ticket price is for anyone that is a Non-NASA member and/or any individual that wishes to attend this workshop. ANYONE, including teachers and those in non-administrative positions can become a NASA Member and save on registration rates. It pays to become a NASA Member. Go to: NASANV.org to become a NASA Member immediately and register at the Lower Rate!Price$60.00
+$1.50 service fee+$1.50 service fee